Although my wife might not always agree, I am a man who knows what he likes. I can easily name you things like my favorite fast-food, author, and college football team (Pancheros, Malcolm Gladwell, Iowa Hawkeyes). Yet, as the arrival of our babies gets closer and closer, there is one favorite that I’ve begun to cherish more and more. One favorite that I believe will become a rarity once babies A, B, and C become more than just images on an ultrasound screen:
Saturday mornings with Missy.
It’s more of a routine actually…like a grown-up version of Saturday morning cartoons. And it usually tends to go a little something like this:
- Sleep in (usually to a time frowned upon by most other adults)
- Stumble downstairs to find Missy curled up on the couch watching the tube
- Hop on the laptop; update facebook and twitter status
- Make breakfast (brunch) for the two of us (to be fair…we take turns from week to week)
- Brew a pot of fine coffee to drink from my favorite mug (that Missy likes to make fun of)
- Enjoy said coffee while catching up on DVR’d TV shows, sports, or movies
This, complimented with a good pair of fleece pants, a thermal tee or hoodie, and slippers, spells perfection.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disappointed when we have other Saturday morning plans…like the farmers market in downtown Des Moines, which is a summertime staple. But getting the chance to unwind after a long week and catch up and hang out with Missy is something that I can’t put a price on (OK, so maybe I’m just a little disappointed).
But when the girls get here, our lives will cease to exist as we know it…no more Saturday mornings alone. Fortunately, all of my old favorite things will be replaced by new favorite things. It won’t be Saturday mornings with Missy; it will be Saturday mornings with my girls…and I know that it will be glorious. And just as long as Missy and I still get an hour or two a week to ourselves (that’s where you all come in ;-)), I’ll still be the happiest man in the world!
What are your favorite things?