Happy Super Bowl Week, my friends!
I usually treat this week of the year like any other, but finally with “my team” in the mix, it all just feels a lot bigger. I’m reading almost every article and breakdown published, listening to all the sports talk hype, and even following the team via Twitter. I’m already starting to get nervously excited for the game…even Missy is pumped for the big day (at least that’s what she tells me)!
What are your Super Bowl plans? Whatever they are, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of Aunt Barb Dip to feast on during all the action 😉
I’ve already started to make good on a few of my New Year’s resolutions, and it feels great! For starters, I just wrapped up my first weekend of the new year playing guitar back at Hope…it felt nice to shake the rust off and get some solid worship time in. Also, since our first date our date night of the New Year to Granite City, we’ve already had another one…albeit a rather impromptu version that involved running errands and getting groceries at Whole Foods. Not complaining though…their pizza is delicious…
…and their Panini’s are the bomb dot com. Plus I’ve wanted to get back there for dinner ever since our first experience last July (has it really been that long?!).
Also, Lola was with us while the older girls had a sleepover at Grandma’s house…
…but we definitely didn’t mind. Neither did she, apparently 😉
With just our littest in tow for the evening, it totally still counted as a Date Night!
Now if I could only get back on the exercise wagon. Although I suppose that two outta three ain’t bad for the time being…
Proof That I Might Be Getting the Hang of This Whole Dad Thing
Missy went for a girl’s night out on Saturday, which just happened to be Bath Night. Before she left, she told me to wait until the morning so that she’d be around to help…but where’s the fun in that?
However, I will tell you what isn’t fun: draining the tub after you’ve already put all four girls in the bath because you failed to notice the dirty bottoms before putting them in the first time.
Actually…Dad fail. Failing to check the undies before loading them into the tub the first time. So maybe I still have some work left to do.
First Time for Everything
Like Traffic Violations, of which I received my first last week…in my mailbox…
…after failing to come to a complete stop before making a Right On Red…
…and being nabbed by the watchful officer stationed across the highway traffic camera.
In my defense, we were trying to make it to the movie on-time, but I guess I must have rolled through the red light pretty quickly to trigger the camera. I’ve learned my lesson.
…Which is to avoid that particular intersection like the plague…
Actual Conversation of the Week
Much to Missy’s chagrin, I had a little Emoji fun with her late Friday afternoon before she made a grocery run…
Something tells me she was not impressed.
Speaking of Emoticons, the girls have discovered them on our phones and have been relentless in wanting to use them as of late to send me “messages.”
Ai yai yai.
- Hope you’ve been enjoying our new “Potty Training Files” series…sharing these stories has been a great way to document the hilarities (read: keep us at least partially sane) while potty training three 2-1/2 year-olds. We have a few more planned this week, so stay tuned!
- After two straight months of Buzz, Jessie, Woody, and the gang we have started to add some variety to the girls Pixar repertoire. Nemo garnered mostly positive reviews, but now Lightning McQueen and Mater are stealing the show in Cars. However, Miss & I have to be a little more attentive with the adult humor…from the subliminal dialogue:
Ligtning McQueen: Well, you know, race cars don’t need headlights, because the track is always lit.
Dusty Rust-eze: Well, so is my brother, but he still needs headlights!
…to the multiple, not-so-subtle references to being trapped in “Hillbilly Hell”. Not the kind of things we want our girls repeating…but short of coughing really loudly during those parts, I’m still not quite sure how to handle it. Right now I’m choosing to ignore it and hoping that by the time they can comprehend what it means they will be old enough not to repeat it.
- While we’re talking movies, Missy and I watched Looper last night, and ***SPOLIER ALERT*** were semi enjoying it right up until the part where Bruce Willis’ character started shooting children. Whether it’s a part of the plot twist or not, this totally just turned us off… I’m glad I only paid $1.20 for the Redbox and not $20 for two movie tickets. Maybe I would feel a little differently if I had seen this movie pre-Sandy Hook, but I doubt it. I don’t want to sound high and mighty here, but are we not better than this when it comes to what passes for entertainment these days?
- With Cindy and Steve in Florida preparing to set off for a Caribbean Cruise, and Uncle Addie in Arizona visiting a friend, the distance between the entire extend fam was even more pronounced than usual this past weekend…
…as if we needed further evidence of just how spread out we all really are. Sad face.
- On a much lighter note, have you been out to Scratch yet? It’s seriously been all the rage in West Des Moines since opening last week…and the cupcakes are freaking legit. We highly recommend the “Samoa” (think Girl Scouts), but Wedding Cake and Red Velvet are both off the hook as well. Next on my list to try is the “Sully,” which…get this…is the cupcake version of a Monster Cookie…om nom nom. You absolutely owe it to yourself to get out there and try one…they’re a steal at $2.00 each! OH…and if you see Aunt Shannon working behind the counter, make sure to give her a loud and completely embarrassing “HOWDY!” while you’re there!
Welp, that does it for me tonight folks. Happy Monday, have a great week, and…