The summer before my senior year in high school, I (Tommy) attended a national youth gathering in St. Louis with my church youth group. At that same gathering, a high school youth group from West Des Moines was there as well. There were so many students staying in the city that some groups had to stay in hotels in the ‘burbs. To get the students back and forth from these hotels to the gathering downtown, school buses were chartered. One night after a long worship session, my group was waiting in a bus to get back to our rooms when a straggler group boarded. This happened to be the group from West Des Moines. One of the last students on from that group had nowhere to sit up front with her group, so she made her way back the bus and sat across the aisle from…me. She was cute. Her name was Missy.
After seeing each other often throughout the rest of the gathering in small groups and other functions, we exchanged info and parted ways. We kept in touch through e-mail and AOL Instant Messaging, and went on with our lives. We became college students, Missy enrolled at the University of Northern Iowa, and I at the Virginia Military Institute. In college, we actually found it was easier to stay in touch despite being so far apart. After our first year, she came to visit me in Maryland, and the month following that visit, I made my first trip to Iowa. Fast forward through four years of long distance dating and I found myself moving to Iowa after graduating from VMI in May of 2005.
- We were engaged on November 24, 2005 (Thanksgiving Day)
- Then got hitched on June 17, 2006 at Lutheran Church of Hope
- Travelled to Ghana, West Africa for a life changing mission trip in 2008
- Became Aunt & Uncle in 2008; visited Portland to meet our newest family member
- Took our belated honeymoon to Italy in 2009
- After struggling to have children, found out that we were expecting triplets
- Road tripped through Snowpocalypse
- Bought a minivan
- Had triplet girls in May 2010 and outgrew our townhouse over night
- Moved into the Florer Farm
- Bought a house
- Promptly burned it down
- Started building our dream home
- Took and passed the PE Exam
- Found out we were expecting baby number four
- Travelled cross-country in our minivan with three 18-month-olds
- Held the best gender reveal party ever
- Moved into our dream home
- Wanted to have a housewarming party; had another baby instead
I originally started this blog to keep our east-coast half of the family updated on the daily happenings in our lives, but it has since evolved into a full-blown Parenthood blog. Paul writes that we should “…pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace…” (2 Tim 2:22), and that is something that we strive for daily. Webster says that pursuit is “the action of following someone or something”.
This blog is the chronicle of our pursuit towards becoming better spouses, better friends, and better parents…and all the ups and downs associated with the above. My worst possible fear is to become stagnant. So that is what this blog is about…living in pursuit.
I’m glad you’re along for the journey.